Is Extreme Gambling in Squid Game the reality?
Squid Game is one of the most-watched films on Netflix. In fact, it seems to be the only series that everyone is talking about, having hit as the number one series on Netflix in more than 90 countries. It has given rise to endless conversations on poverty and inequality, modern capitalism and unsustainable levels of personal debt.
In addition, one of the major underlying themes from this game is extreme gambling addiction. Throughout the series, you’ll see various forms of gambling, starting with the leading actor Gi-hun.
- $1500 + 150 Spins
- Fast Cash outs – Great reputation
Here are a few instances of excessive gambling:
Stealing to Get Gambling Money
As the show begins, you’ll see that Seong Gi-hun, the main character is a divorced dad who is in financial ruins. He worked for an auto factory for years before getting laid off. He tried opening up his own business to no avail, leading him to live with his mother. His mother is not financially stable, but the little money she earns while working at a market stall is the only hope of paying bills and eating.
Despite that, Gi-hun takes every opportunity to steal his mother’s money and debit card to satisfy his gambling addiction and go to the OTB.
When Gi-hun visits the OTB, he loses in his first race. He lines up trying to fill out the race forms for another betting game despite losing. While on the line, the person behind him taps him to inform him that the next game is about to start. Gi-hun smacks himself in the head with no reason and starts screaming that he should be left to think. This shows that despite the losses, Gi-hun was willing to keep chasing losses despite his irritability and uncalled for outbursts.
Willingness to Risk Everything
In this game, many people, including Gi-hun, become targets for a mysterious organisation that offers them a chance to win massive amounts of money. They play a series of games with deadly consequences, and as the game continues, they are allowed to decide whether to terminate the game or not. As per the game rules, those who leave don’t get compensated; only the dead get compensation.
Despite the game respecting autonomy and consent, most players still decide to play. This shows that they are willing to wager their own life for money. This is the biggest form of gambling which shows that the participants had a severe gambling problem. In fact, Sang- Woo was willing to kill others in addition to risking his life for money.
You’ll also notice that the players are not the only ones with a gambling addiction in this film. The VIPS are also psychopaths and criminals who are even worse gamblers. These guys are addicted to gambling and even obsessed with it to the point that no casino or sporting event would satisfy them. They would rather bet on human life.
What’s the Importance of Legal Online Casinos in Canada?
Through all these instances, it’s clear that extreme gambling can be very detrimental to you and those around you. This is why Canada always emphasises the need for legal online casinos. Legal online casinos ensure that the games are fair and regulated by the gaming authorities and organisations. The gaming authorities ensure that players access responsible gaming guidelines, ensuring that gambling does not cost human life.
As a player, be sure to play in a legal online casino. That way, you can ensure that the games are fair and regulated. Legal casinos operate with a license, and you should therefore check this before participating in any online casino game.
- $300 + 200 Spins
- Fair casino + Instant cash outs
- White Hat Gaming casino
- Fast cash outs, 2,000+ games
- High limits
- Trustworthy and Reliable
Responsible Gambling Tips
Here are some tips to help you gamble responsibly:
- Gamble when you’re in the right mindset and only in search of entertainment. It’s not advisable to turn to online gaming when you’re feeling angry, lonely or sad
- Surround yourself with people who have healthy gambling habits
- Manage your winning expectations. Play knowing that gambling is a game of luck and that you might win sometimes and sometimes you may lose
- Base your online gambling session on the fun you get rather than on how much money you gain
- Set a budget that you intend to use and stick to it
- Set a time limit for gambling to avoid spending too much time on it
- Only gamble with money that you’re willing to lose
- Only play at casinos that promote safe gambling and that provide you with safe gambling tools
- Extreme Gambling Signs
- Extreme gambling is not healthy for you. Sometimes, it might be difficult to know that you have a gambling problem.
Looking for more gambling tips? Check out our Real Money Gambling Tips, Tips for Playing Roulette and tips for playing Blackjack
Here are some of the signs to look out for:
- An urge to chase your losses
- Spending money that you need and that you cannot afford to lose
- Constantly betting over your budget limits
- Letting other responsibilities slide, such as family and work responsibilities to spend time gambling
- Experiencing feelings of guilt due to your gambling habits
- Is Squid Game a Reflection of Reality?
- To some extent, the Squid game reflects the harsh realities we live in. It shows the poverty levels, debt levels and inequality in society. It’s an indication of how people are willing to do anything to survive.
Recent studies by economists, sociologists and philosophers indicate that our society aims to have a meritocratic society. This society does not get classified by race, class or gender, but ability and effort. This shows how people are willing to compete just to rise up the social ladder. The negative side of this is that those better off feel that they have earned their position, which explains the VIPS from the squid game.
Despite this being our reality, you must find healthy activities to gain an income. You should not rely on gambling to earn an income. Gambling is only a form of entertainment.
What to Expect for Squid Game Season 2?
If you’re a fan of squid game, you can expect season 2. Well, the next season will be fun and reveal most game facts. What most gamblers can bet on is whether the detective will be alive and will he meet with his brother? Will they share a brotherly love, or will it sorely be revenge? Also, will the main character spend the money he won from the game?
Well, watch out for season 2 to get answers to these questions. More so, learn responsible gambling habits and be sure to find legal online casinos in Canada to experience fair and entertaining gaming.